Friday 28 February 2014

Terra Joule and uphill landings only

Whilst the world is holding its breath how Russians and Americans have raised the global chess game to another level, let's turn to something extraterrestrial.

I know a thing or two about crashes. No, not because I crashed so often myself (touch wood!), but because in a previous life I worked on car safety and attended a lot of car crashes. Watching a car slamming into a barrier at 64 km/h is a humbling experience, let me tell you that. To get the protection right, it's all about energy management. Well there was plenty of energy at the below crash. The news broke this week that last year on September 11 an estimated 4 foot-wide, 880 lbs asteroid hit the moon. It had an explosive force of 15 tons of TNT. I can't really picture how much 15 tons of TNT is. The energy upon impact gives me a better idea: 79,42 TJ (Terra Joule). Now that is a lot and the Spanish telescopes, part of Moon Impacts Detection and Analysis System (MIDAS), that recorded the explosion don't really do justice to it. 


And I came across another top 15 list.
CNN's world's most scenic airport approaches. Have a look.
Of those selected my favourite one is Courchevelle. Only uphill landings and downhill take-off's I guess...

Just for the fun of it some more photos from Airliners.net




No comments:

Post a Comment